How it works
Inside the casing of the Shaker Plus is a weighted ball. By breathing into the Shaker Plus, the ball is raised, but then falls under its own weight. This rise and fall action happens extremely quickly and to the user, feels like a vibration. This vibration, combined with the gentle resistance created by breathing against the ball causes a number of positive benefits. Changes in air pressure mean the smaller airways are encouraged to open, increasing lung usage and efficiency. Mucus is thinned or dislodged by the vibration and increased airflow helps this mucus to move to the large airways where gentle coughing can expel it.
Shaker Plus can be used anywhere, offering simple and convenient relief from excessive mucus and its associated problems. Shaker Plus can be used for chronic conditions such as COPD, asthma, emphysema and acute problems like chesty coughs, flu and bronchitis. By clearing the airways the chances of developing lung infections and damaging the lungs is reduced. Lung function is also improved, reducing breathlessness and fatigue.
By positioning the device so that it generates the maximum vibration in the lungs, you should be able to gently cough and expel any secretions or mucus.
Regular sessions with the Shaker of between 5 to 15 minutes produce a beneficial effect, equivalent to that delivered by physiotherapy techniques.
- Mechanical Behaviors of Flutter VRP1, Shaker, and Acapella Devices
- Utilization of a High Frequency Oral Oscillatory Device with Mechanical Ventilation
- Analysis of the functioning of the Shaker® to diverse levels of ﬂow
- Respiratory physiotherapy in patients with cystic fibrosis: a literature review
- The use of oral high frequency oscillation in mechanically ventilated patients: a study prospective and literature revision
- Effect of oral high-frequency oscillation technique at different expiratory pressures on heart autonomic function and cardiorespiratory parameters
- Shaker Plus is a multi-user device and for hygiene purposes, should not be shared with other users without being sterilised in an autoclave in between users.
- Shaker Plus should not be used by individuals with pneumothorax.
- Individuals with severe cardiovascular disease should only use Shaker Plus on advice from a Doctor.
- Do not make changes to any prescribed medication or prescribed treatment programme without consulting your doctor.
- Adult supervision may be required, when being used by children under the age of 16.
- If you become dizzy while using Shaker Plus, stop the exercise and breathe calmly through the nose until the feeling stops. If dizziness occurs every time you use the Shaker, inhale and exhale without the Shaker Plus every 3rd breath. Should dizziness persist, or any other problems arise whilst using Shaker Plus, please stop using the device immediately and consult your physician.
- Shaker Plus is designed to be used for mobilising pulmonary secretions. No other use is intended or implied. This product is not intended to diagnose, cure or prevent any disease.
- Only devices sold in sealed packaging should be used.
- Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct heat and sunlight.
- This product is sealed to maintain hygiene and cannot be returned if the seal is broken.
The Shaker Plus should not be used by patients with the following conditions:
- Severe tuberculosis
- Right-sided heart failure
- Haemoptysis (coughing up blood)
- Free shipping within NZ for consumers
- International shipping rates – Australia - $9 per unit untracked, tracked $30.
- All other countries – please enquire through email.